Fair Use disclaimer

All music presented on this site is shared under the premise of "fair use"; this site is solely intended for the purpose of education and critique. If you are a rights holder to any of the music presented and wish for it to be removed, simply contact me directly and it will be taken down.

Thursday, May 22, 2008

LONNIE LESTER - AIN'T THAT A SHAME


One pattern about records I get really fired up about is the rawer, funkier and grittier they are (especially if they cook at 100mph) I'm sold. This one has all of those traits and I just wanna hear it over and over again. Doing a google search for Lonnie, I found that he's still out touring (in his 70s).

The city of Gary, Indiana is merely 30 minutes from Chicago, and most artists (and labels, in the case of VJ) left Gary as base of operations and moved to Chicago. Lonnie Lester seemingly stayed in Gary as his home base; perhaps he was a worker at one of the then-thriving steel mills in addition to his singing career.

from c1965...

LONNIE LESTER - AIN'T THAT A SHAME

2 comments:

Liam Latrine said...

Love it, hopefully you have You Can't Go as well (fingers crossed - going to search now)

Thanks

Sheryl said...

My Father, Bobby Price, was the drummer on that record!!! Mr. Lester sent me his latest CDs a few months back...he's still got that "thang" that he had nearly 50 years ago!