Fair Use disclaimer

All music presented on this site is shared under the premise of "fair use"; this site is solely intended for the purpose of education and critique. If you are a rights holder to any of the music presented and wish for it to be removed, simply contact me directly and it will be taken down.

Monday, February 20, 2012

13th FLOOR ELEVATORS - SLIP INSIDE THIS HOUSE


To some, the 45 RPM single edit is near treason; how DARE they edit down an artistic statement for commercial reasons?

As for me, I have a short attention span, so 45 edits are usually okie dokie.

The 8 minute LP version of this track is certainly one of Texas' 13th Floor Elevators masterpieces, but when it comes down to it, I really enjoy the 4 minute edit, as it contains the following:

Stacy Sutherland's guitar intro that practically defines psychedelic music. Stacy is one of the unsung heroes of guitar; every time I turn up the reverb on my amp and let my fingers do the walking, I have Stacy's playing on my mind.

Danny Thomas' steady, soul/jazz influenced drumming that never wavers and, when combined with Tommy Hall's amplified jug, sounds damn near a slowed-down techno groove. But Danny could swing way harder than any drum-machine propelled techno track.

The moment at 2:03 when Roky Erickson's voice goes into the stratosphere.

The moment at 2:25 when the group launches into the bridge section which is one of their songwriting peaks, and in my opinion one of THE most transcendent moments in music. I've listened to it thousands of times, and it never fails to make my jaw drop.

The only thing missing from the edit are more verses of Tommy Hall's acid mystic lyrics, and being as un-penetrable as they are, that may or may not be a bad thing depending on your tastes.

True, when a groove cuts as deep as the band does on this track sometimes I wanna hear the full eight minutes, but for a pure adrenaline rush this single edit is just what the doc prescribed.

from 1967...

13th FLOOR ELEVATORS - SLIP INSIDE THIS HOUSE



Like Derek's Daily 45 on Facebook

5 comments:

Timmy said...

Absolutely a historical 45, not simp[ly because it is indeed an edit worth tutoring record co. exec's of the 60's, but also for this radio-station promo copy, you have presented here. I wonder how many times it was played on AM radio in '67/'68? I never heard it in L.A....

naguiar2003 said...

It's WONDERFUL! I've always loved your Soul Music posts, but this one.....!!!!! I knew the song played by Primal Scream, but i never knew it was a cover version!
Your most surprising post EVER! Thanks!

On The Flip-Side said...

Great song, but the edit is not working for me. part of the song's beauty is its languid approach that only bears itself out in the entirity. And that edit at 3:23 is pretty darn awkward.

SanchoPanza said...

Do you think you could re-upload this one? :/

Derek See said...

Here it is, Sancho: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxNHyxmIYXU