Fair Use disclaimer

All music presented on this site is shared under the premise of "fair use"; this site is solely intended for the purpose of education and critique. If you are a rights holder to any of the music presented and wish for it to be removed, simply contact me directly and it will be taken down.

Wednesday, December 13, 2017

THE FIFTH DIMENSION - DON'T CHA HEAR ME CALLING TO YA


File under: Greatest B-Sides to a massive hit single.

I make no bones about the fact that I love the hits as much as the rarities; it's all music that makes us feel good, and just because millions of people happen to dig something collectively, that doesn't make it any less beautiful (I always have to excuse myself to get a glass of water when someone starts rambling about how any popular music isn't as good as "X"). So, yeah, I love the A-side of this record, and the lightweight pop-soul of The Fifth Dimension was pretty darn groovy.

The b-side, though, is a STONE GROOVE! LA's finest session musicians GET DOWN, and of course this groups patented vocal blend is heard in supreme form. The song, too, is unique - pushing aside conventional chord changes, it keeps modulating higher and higher, echoing the yearning sentiment as heard in the lyrics. When this one comes on during long drives, it's pretty much a guarantee that I'm gonna repeat it a few times, 'cause it's just *that* cool.

from 1969...

THE FIFTH DIMENSION - DON'T CHA HEAR ME CALLING TO YA



3 comments:

Laurie said...

The whole Age of Aquarius album is incredible. I bought it in high school at a garage sale because I thought the cover was weird and I thought the music might be as well - turned out to be one of my very favorite albums.

Dave said...

Hear Hear! The 5-D catalog is full of brilliancies. They are guilty only of being non-hip. Most impressive,, they could duplicate their vocals live.

Dave said...

Laurie,

If you like that album, check out their next, "Magic Garden," full of great Jimmy Webb songs.