Fair Use disclaimer

All music presented on this site is shared under the premise of "fair use"; this site is solely intended for the purpose of education and critique. If you are a rights holder to any of the music presented and wish for it to be removed, simply contact me directly and it will be taken down.

Sunday, August 31, 2008

SLY, SLICK & WICKED- CONFESSIN' A FEELING/ LOVE GONNA PACK UP (AND WALK OUT)


When I worked in a record store in the 90s I was intrigued and perplexed by a series of CD's called "Lowrider Oldies". They had many familiar (as well as not so familiar) titles but didn't give artist info (or any other info for that matter). Knowing a bit about lowrider culture didn't prepare me for the first Lowrider oldies show I attended about a year ago. Selling out the HUGE Hp pavillion in San Jose (with no mainstream publicity) were Barbara Mason, Eddie Holman, Blue Magic, Santo and Johnny, and this mysterious group called Sly Slick And Wicked. Doing a combination of familiar cover tunes as well as a few of their own (including Cofessin...) I was more than intrigued by these ultra cool cats. Confessin' is an incredible deep soul ballad, and the b-side is a stellar funky number. Thanks to the Latino oldies community for helping keep soul music alive.

from 1972...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is very cool to hear. I've got the flip on a mix but I hadn't heard Confessin' A Feeling. Thanks.

Darcy said...

Thanks for this one too.