Fair Use disclaimer

All music presented on this site is shared under the premise of "fair use"; this site is solely intended for the purpose of education and critique. If you are a rights holder to any of the music presented and wish for it to be removed, simply contact me directly and it will be taken down.

Thursday, August 13, 2009

THE SEVEN SOULS - I STILL LOVE YOU b/w I'M NO STRANGER


One Of the greatest (and quite possibly THE finest) west coast soul record, this sublime 2 sider is a record I dreamed of owning for a long time, and happily it now resides in a special place in my collection. Sure, the labels may be in rough condition but the record sounds great and I am just glad to have it any any condition, and very happy to share it with everyone here. Part of the fun in collecting records is the anticipation of getting certain ones, and if we had 'em all, there's nowhere else to go (so I don't mind if it takes me many years to get that particular record; it's worth the wait).

The Seven Souls were formed at the University of Oregon, and were an integrated group who moved south to Los Angeles and were taken under the tutelage of musician/ producer/ pimp Larry Williams who cut this absolutely perfect record with them. Sadly, they only released one other record (OK but not at the other worldly level of this one). The group sported not only two phenomenal lead singers (Ivory Hudson takes the lead on 'I Still Love You", and sax player Henry Moore sings I'm No Stranger) but young Bob Welch (later of the early 70's lineup of Fleetwood Mac which gave us "Sentimental Lady") is playing those tasty guitar licks.

from 1967...

THE SEVEN SOULS - I STILL LOVE YOU

b/w I'M NO STRANGER

4 comments:

alejandro said...

What a beautiful arrangement. It has a very melancholic echoey sound. Thanks for posting!

ludivinho said...

I knew this song from a french cbs commpilation of 1967 I bought ten years later and am still amazed it went nowhere in the charts. Both the melody and arrangements are great and if some film maker could use it one day it would give it a second but hopefully better and well deserved life

Billy Ray Deiz said...

I believe Henry Moore and I share writer credit on this one although I had left the band by the time it was released. Thanks for finding and posting--always one of my favorite songs from the 60s in what was my all-time favorite band to be a part of. Wish you could have seen us live!

Derek See said...

Hey, thanks for writing Billy Ray! I certainly wish I could have seen you live, must have been mind blowing. Thank you for stopping by and sharing.