Fair Use disclaimer

All music presented on this site is shared under the premise of "fair use"; this site is solely intended for the purpose of education and critique. If you are a rights holder to any of the music presented and wish for it to be removed, simply contact me directly and it will be taken down.

Wednesday, August 26, 2009

TRIBUTE TO ELLIE GREENWICH: THE RONETTES - I WISH I NEVER SAW THE SUNSHINE


Ellie Greenwich, one of the greatest songwriters who ever lived (not to mention the fact that her work was trailblazing for women in music; not only as writer but also a producer), has passed away. Thank you for the music, Ellie.

I am breaking with tradition in featuring this song today as this version was never released on 45 (and not released at all for many years after it was recorded). This is my favorite Phil Spector production, and one of the most sublime songs of the sixties. It was released years later by Ronnie in a re-recorded version which is good but does not come close to the epic majesty of this track. This version is taken from the (vinyl) LP Phil Spector: Wall Of Sound Volume 6 (Rare Masters) Another example where writer, producer, musician and singers click to create magic. Perhaps this track was deemed too long to be a hit, but for my dollar, this is the greatest "unreleased" 45 ever.

I still get chills thinking about hearing Ronnie sing this at the Ponderosa Stomp in 2008.

from 1965...

TRIBUTE TO ELLIE GREENWICH: THE RONETTES - I WISH I NEVER SAW THE SUNSHINE

4 comments:

Lauri Tyeryar said...

amazing, amazing, amazing.

Lauri Tyeryar said...

amazing, amazing, amazing.

Anonymous said...

Thanks Derek. Superb song from the pen of a music great. RIP Ellie Greenwich. Regards, IAN in South Australia

Shawn Ryan said...

This is the first Ronettes song I've ever heard and it's blowing my mind. I finally understand why Spector's production was called the "Wall of Sound." Thanks for this Derek.

And while I'm commenting, thank you very much for sharing such rare and consistently good music. I am very grateful for the work you put into researching, obtaining, archiving and posting these 45s. Your generosity is definitely appreciated.