Fair Use disclaimer

All music presented on this site is shared under the premise of "fair use"; this site is solely intended for the purpose of education and critique. If you are a rights holder to any of the music presented and wish for it to be removed, simply contact me directly and it will be taken down.

Wednesday, December 23, 2009

THE COMPANIONS - BE YOURSELF


Quite simply, what can be better than having someone to tell you "just be yourself". As for me, during the holidays, I am especially thankful to have someone in my life who not only tells me to be myself but encourages my obsessive record related behavior and tolerates the kind of time that I put into said obsession, including this blog! She's a keeper, for sho.

This is a gorgeous record that is shrouded in complete mystery. seems to be the only record cut by this Philadelphia group, and no one even seems to know when it was cut! Quite often, records have matrix numbers in the run off groove that have date codes. Not this one. Almost as if it were meant to be a mystery from the minute it was cut. I love how the singer almost chokes a few times reaching for certain notes. Sublime. I'm guessing at the year...

from c1966...

THE COMPANIONS - BE YOURSELF

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Derek this is probably the same Companions that had a late regional doo-wop hit in Philly with It's Too Late on tye Arlen label in the mid-60's.

Derek See said...

Thank you!

Stu said...

Is it me, or does the intro sound like "Boogie Shoes" by KC & the Sunshine Band???

Anonymous said...

Derek:

This record hit the charts in WKNR in Detroit in early 1965.

Lyle