Fair Use disclaimer

All music presented on this site is shared under the premise of "fair use"; this site is solely intended for the purpose of education and critique. If you are a rights holder to any of the music presented and wish for it to be removed, simply contact me directly and it will be taken down.

Thursday, May 19, 2011

OTIS CLAY - THREE IS A CROWD


I find it fascinating on a number of levels that this is the debut secular recording from Otis Clay; after spending a number of years singing in gospel groups, Otis, at 23, had already been recording for nearly 8 years! Otis cut a secular session in 1962 that went unissued. I also find it fascinating how incredibly RAW this record is; it sounds like it was cut in a garage with one microphone and Otis shouting on top of it all- and if you're a fan of this blog, I assume you'll be with me and agree that that is a very good thing indeed.

from 1965...

OTIS CLAY - THREE IS A CROWD

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Killer stuff! I'd love to hear that 1962 session. W.

Joshua M Johnson said...

this is great and funky. thanks.

Jan said...

A beautiful number. Thanx

Jerry Lee said...

Holy crap dude, this things SMOKES!!

Sounds like Black Joe Lewis, and that's a very good thing too!

I'd love to hear the rest of this session, I have a few of his soul LP's, and there's nothing like this.

Danielle said...

Second that wish for the 1962 session. This is one great cut.

RichardSibello said...

I see you have the edited version (which I prefer). The first pressing begins with a "doorbell" sound effect, then another sound effect with a group of people talking, then a door slam. THEN the record starts! Either way, it's a killer!!