Fair Use disclaimer

All music presented on this site is shared under the premise of "fair use"; this site is solely intended for the purpose of education and critique. If you are a rights holder to any of the music presented and wish for it to be removed, simply contact me directly and it will be taken down.

Wednesday, January 23, 2013

CAROL FRAN - I'M GONNA TRY


(originally posted 1/9/10)

This is one of those records that when I hear it, I'm amazed that something this intense can even exist, and after that point I accept it and just realize how thankful I am that records like this WERE made, as they are the juice that keeps this blog going.

From Lafayette, LA, Carol Fran became a professional musician at 15 years old (1948) in a career that found her performing all over Louisiana, not only as a featured performer but also as backing pianist for the likes of Lazy Lester and Slim Harpo. Her piano playing on this record is chilling, and her vocals are simply out of this world (especially the "he should be pulling a rabbit out of a hat" line- good GOD what a performance). When this record was cut, Carol was briefly based in new York City, and this is actually the flip side of "Crying In The Chapel" (which was made into a huge hit by Elvis Presley, stealing Carol's possibility of getting a hit with the record).

Carol is still performing!

from 1964...

CAROL FRAN - I'M GONNA TRY

2 comments:

justice said...

really great stuff !

i ll keep a high place in my best of the best folder.

TY

Oh Hey Great said...

This is just beyond! Love it.