Fair Use disclaimer

All music presented on this site is shared under the premise of "fair use"; this site is solely intended for the purpose of education and critique. If you are a rights holder to any of the music presented and wish for it to be removed, simply contact me directly and it will be taken down.

Tuesday, June 30, 2009

THE ASTORS - IN THE TWILIGHT ZONE


This Memphis group was formed while the guys were still in high school in the late 50's and went through a number of name changes before settling on the name THE ASTORS in 1963. During their formative years, they worked with Rufus Thomas, who helped them get their act together as performers.

This track should have been massive, but sadly disappeared (while another record they cut for Stax, 'Candy", WAS a charting record and although solid its' nowhere near the velocity of this stomper). I haven't read anything to substantiate, but it's GOTTA be Booker T & The MG's as backing group on this one.

from 1965...

THE ASTORS - IN THE TWILIGHT ZONE

3 comments:

John DeAngelis said...

Good one! Al Jackson could definitely lay down a beat. But I totally love "Candy"! It's one of the most charming things I've ever heard.

pujwa said...

Man ! I'd never heard this.What a great tune. Looking forward to kicking back and cranking this one up. Can you add me back to your daily list, I've truely missed it. Thanks.

Lee/Pujwa

Derek See said...

Pujwa- sorry, but there isn't a daily emailing. I ended that about two years ago.