Fair Use disclaimer

All music presented on this site is shared under the premise of "fair use"; this site is solely intended for the purpose of education and critique. If you are a rights holder to any of the music presented and wish for it to be removed, simply contact me directly and it will be taken down.

Tuesday, April 5, 2011

JACKIE ROSS - KEEP YOUR CHIN UP


When it comes to soul records & I, it always comes back to Chicago. Perhaps it's all the years I spent living just outside of Chicago that keeps the music so close to my heart, but I also think that (along with Detroit and Memphis) there waqs SOMETHING in the air during the 60's that resulted in the greatest music ever produced in the United States, and thankfully there is SO MUCH of it to share and enjoy.

Jackie Ross' story is so similar to so many other soul heroes. Born in St Louis, she began singing in church at a young age and became a local radio star (her parents had a radio show). After her father passed away in 1954, the family moved to Chicago where young Jackie (born in 1946) began her recording career in 1962 and also became part of Syl Johnson's soul revue.

Today's entry is an absolutely beautiful track written by the legendary Gerald Sims. I could listen to this song over and over again all day and not grow tired of the song, the performance and THE MESSAGE.

One of my favorite aspects of Chicago soul is the upbeat, positive message; I think of this music as being the soundtrack of the civil rights movement. Continuing in the folk tradition and reporting that equality for ALL was the right way and ONLY way to live.

from 1967...

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I also like Jackie Ross. Another soul singer who i feel never got the full recognition she should have deserved.

girlswithsoul said...

You are spot on with your comments about this record and 60's Chicago Soul.
Your last paragraph reflects my
feelings about this music.