Fair Use disclaimer

All music presented on this site is shared under the premise of "fair use"; this site is solely intended for the purpose of education and critique. If you are a rights holder to any of the music presented and wish for it to be removed, simply contact me directly and it will be taken down.

Saturday, April 9, 2011

THE SOUL BROTHERS SIX - SOME KIND OF WONDERFUL b/w I'LL BE LOVING YOU


A perfect double sider!

This is the debut single recorded by Rochester, NY's Soul Brothers Six for the mighty Atlantic records, and their first release with lead singer/ songwriter John Ellison. Both sides are stunning songs and performances, and while a number of inferior, overblown versions of "Wonderful' are much more well known, I hope that those of you who may have a tainted view of that song will give it a fresh listen here if you have never heard the superior, under heard original.

"I'll Be Loving You" is an uptempo soul ballad, and absolutely sublime.

from 1967...

SOME KIND OF WONDERFUL


I'LL BE LOVING YOU

6 comments:

Jeff Stanzler said...

Great choice, Derek...I was waiting for this one!

mike flugennock said...

Wow, Derek; thanks for posting this.

I first heard this tune in high school, done by Grand Funk Railroad, and thought it was a nice little party tune.

Tonight, I just now heard the original for the first time here, and now I'm thinking jeezus, Grand Funk totally frickin' murdered this song. Augghh. I mean, their arrangement stayed pretty true to the original, but god damn, did they ever suck the mojo out of it.

A must-download, kids, surface noise and all.

Johnnie K said...

Dear Mr See, it is little known that the Soul Brothers Six reference Marvin Gaye's Can I Get A Witness in "Some Kind Of Wonderful" and Marvin replied in "Too Busy Thinking 'Bout My Baby" by singing "she's some kind of wonderful".

Anonymous said...

You're right, both sides are great. But "Some Kind of Wonderful" is nothing short of outstanding!

Anonymous said...

Everybody's talkin' about "Some Kind of Wonderful" but I like "I'll Be Loving You" as the real gem here. That one shoots right off the shattered cherry syrup scale and is up there in the sweeter than sweet x north of heaven pedigree class with George Lemon's "Fascinating Girl" if you ask me!

Jim from west MI said...

This was a huge hit in Detroit in the summer of 1967. Sadly butchered by Grand Funk some years later. Great post, Derek!!