Fair Use disclaimer

All music presented on this site is shared under the premise of "fair use"; this site is solely intended for the purpose of education and critique. If you are a rights holder to any of the music presented and wish for it to be removed, simply contact me directly and it will be taken down.

Sunday, October 9, 2011

HAPPY BIRTHDAY JOHN LENNON: THE CONTOURS - FIRST I LOOK AT THE PURSE


The root of my passion as a musician and record collector is all because of John & The Beatles. Mom exposed me to them while I was literally still in the cradle, and I've been a fanatic for life.

Also, thanks to the group's own impeccable taste as record collectors, the lads own passion for their favorite discs inspired me to do what you, the readers of this site know me as- a fanatical, passionate collector and lover of 45 RPM sounds. John Lennon took every opportunity to spout off his love for the rock n roll of his youth, and also the r&b/ soul sounds of the 60's. John even took a portable jukebox with him on tour, and it was full of fabulous soul from the likes of Booker T & The MG's, Fontella Bass, Bobby Parker, Jimmy McCracklin, Timmy Shaw, and dozens of others, including this favorite from The Contours.

The Contours were undoubtedly the hardest hitting act within the Motown stable, both vocally and musically and had a great run of dance hits, and throughout numerous lineup changes is still active today. The fantastic lead vocals that are so memorable on the Contours 60's recordings were shouted by Billy Gordon.

With no escape possible from their hotel fortresses on tour without the risk of fan mauling, at least the Beatles had some fantastic music to listen to in those pre-ipod days. One could just see them grooving out backstage to the sounds of this jam.

from 1965...

THE CONTOURS - FIRST I LOOK AT THE PURSE




visit Derek's Daily 45 facebook page

4 comments:

Jeff said...

Also covered by the J. Geils Band in 1972. That's the version I heard first.

Anonymous said...

I saw J. Geils Band play this live back "in the day" - I never suspected it was a cover, the song just suited their style so well. Great live band!

Moss O'Brien said...

The greatest and most inpsirational music I own is the John Lennon's Jukebox collection, excellent stuff, and it is extra nice to hear this rip of this classic tune.

Derek See said...

right on, Moss! I agree wholeheartedly.