Fair Use disclaimer

All music presented on this site is shared under the premise of "fair use"; this site is solely intended for the purpose of education and critique. If you are a rights holder to any of the music presented and wish for it to be removed, simply contact me directly and it will be taken down.

Friday, August 24, 2012

THE STARLETS - BETTER TELL HIM NO

This song is MADE by the downright incredible lead vocal, in which the lead singer (whose name I do not know, although the group collectively was Jane Hall, Maxine Edwards, Mickey McKinney, Jeannette Miles and Liz Walker (aka Dynetta Boone) delivers some seriously emotive singing that goes from innocent to wise all within the same line.

This Chicago group was later involved in a lawsuit when Philadelphia producer Harold Robinson cut them recording "I Sold My Heart To The Junkman" which became a hit (as The Bluebelles) on his Newtown label. Robinson hired a surrogate group to perform the record (which included Patti LaBelle) which began to record as well.

The Starlets won $5,000 per member, and sadly only recorded one other 45.

from 1961...

THE STARLETS - BETTER TELL HIM NO

2 comments:

Pierre said...

Oh man so good!

johnnyvinyl said...

Hello, The lead singer is Maxine Edwards. Her brother, Earl, co-wrote "Duke Of Earl" and was in The Dukays with Gene Chandler. Here is their complete 45s discography:

STARLETS DISCOGRAPHY

45s

Better Tell Him No/You Are The One Pam 1003 1961
My Last Cry/Money Hungry Pam 1004

(as Danetta and The Starlets)

You Belong To Me/Impression Okeh 7155 1962

(as The Blue Belles)

I Sold My Heart To The Junkman/Itty Bitty Twist Newtown 5000 1962
You Better Move On/You’re Just Fooling Yourself Rainbow 1900 1964
(some pressings say Original Blue Belles)
I’ve Got To Let Him Know/I Sold My Heart To The Junkman Peak 7042 1964
(issued with a picture sleeve of The Starlets)