Fair Use disclaimer

All music presented on this site is shared under the premise of "fair use"; this site is solely intended for the purpose of education and critique. If you are a rights holder to any of the music presented and wish for it to be removed, simply contact me directly and it will be taken down.

Tuesday, February 19, 2013

THE EIGHT MINUTES - TAKE MY LOVE DON'T SET ME FREE

Made up of the teenage/ preteen siblings of the Goggins (Ricky, Hank & Ronald) and Sudduth (Hedda, David, Wendell) families plus friends Juwanna Glover and Carl Monroe, Chicago's Eight Minutes waxed some truly fabulous "kiddie soul" track after being discovered by their neighbor Doris Jones.









I love the unstoppable groove of this record, amazing organ, and the lovely, soaring vocals.

The group played all of the instruments on the records they cut for Jay Pee Records between 68-69 (I have another that I'm bound to feature at some point). This type of thing seems unfathomable today, especially when one takes into account that a few of their records did well in Chicago.

The group was eventually signed to Perception Records, who released an LP and a few more singles from the group; however, they were replaced with studio musicians for those recordings. A pity, as a major part of the charm of their records is the heartfelt performance.

from 1972...

THE EIGHT MINUTES - TAKE MY LOVE DON'T SET ME FREE

2 comments:

Darcy said...

That's a cool label. I have never seen one before. I have Cindy & The Playmates (another kiddie group I think) on JayPee but that's on a simple blue background label, and I thought they were all like that.

Funky16Corners said...

I love "Here's Some Dances", which BTW is on yet another label design:

http://funky16corners.com/?p=350