Fair Use disclaimer

All music presented on this site is shared under the premise of "fair use"; this site is solely intended for the purpose of education and critique. If you are a rights holder to any of the music presented and wish for it to be removed, simply contact me directly and it will be taken down.

Monday, August 16, 2010

JACKIE WILSON - BRAND NEW THING


As I've mentioned before, when I'm out on travel one of my favorite things to do is listen to playlists on my MP3 player with a focus on all the "45's in reserve" that I've never featured on the blog. So many times a record will pop up that I had practically forgotten about.

I can't say that I had forgotten this one, as Jackie Wilson's hard soul period is very dear to my heart. HOWEVER, I'd forgotten just how INCREDIBLE this record is and how I never ever hear it played out at soul nights (a pity! I'm gonna start placing it in my DJ box in the future). I've wanted to feature this one SO BADLY while I was out of town but I didn't have a label scan with me; just got home last night and I KNEW that this was gonna be today's record, hands down.

Jackie's career is pretty well divided between his New York period (with producer Dick Jacobs) and his Chicago period (working with producers/arrangers Carl Davis & Gerald Sims). This record was one of the final sides cut with Dick Jacobs, and the band new thing certainly was a reality for Jackie, as the Chicago period began his run of fantastic hard driving records (including, of course, "Higher & Higher", one of the greatest records ever, of any genre). Man oh man this record just flat out ROCKS.

from 1966...

JACKIE WILSON - BRAND NEW THING

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I'm a big fan of Jackie Wilson. I haven't heard this song in a very long time. Thank you!