Fair Use disclaimer

All music presented on this site is shared under the premise of "fair use"; this site is solely intended for the purpose of education and critique. If you are a rights holder to any of the music presented and wish for it to be removed, simply contact me directly and it will be taken down.

Thursday, June 7, 2012

Tribute to Bob Welch: THE SEVEN SOULS - I STILL LOVE YOU b/w I'M NO STRANGER



I was very sad to hear that legendary musician Bob Welch ended his life at his own hand. I believe this to be his first recorded work, and shows his guitar skills laid out over two amazing sides. Bob, of course, went on to lead the "interim" Fleetwood Mac (after Peter Green and before Lindsey Buckingham) and had some solo hits that were some of the most inspired '70's rock.

(Originally posted 8/2009) One Of the greatest (and quite possibly THE finest) west coast soul record, this sublime 2 sider is a record I dreamed of owning for a long time, and happily it now resides in a special place in my collection. Sure, the labels may be in rough condition but the record sounds great and I am just glad to have it any any condition, and very happy to share it with everyone here. Part of the fun in collecting records is the anticipation of getting certain ones, and if we had 'em all, there's nowhere else to go (so I don't mind if it takes me many years to get that particular record; it's worth the wait).

The Seven Souls were formed at the University of Oregon, and were an integrated group who moved south to Los Angeles and were taken under the tutelage of musician/ producer/ pimp Larry Williams who cut this absolutely perfect record with them. Sadly, they only released one other record (OK but not at the other worldly level of this one). The group sported not only two phenomenal lead singers (Ivory Hudson takes the lead on 'I Still Love You", and sax player Henry Moore sings I'm No Stranger) but young Bob Welch (later of the early 70's lineup of Fleetwood Mac which gave us "Sentimental Lady") is playing those tasty guitar licks.

from 1967...

THE SEVEN SOULS - I STILL LOVE YOU

b/w I'M NO STRANGER

2 comments:

Unknown said...

It was terribly sad about what happened with Bob Welch. I had the pleasure and honor of interviewing him for a book three years ago. He was one of my best interviews, just insightful, funny, and very very smart. Huge loss.

Out In The Street said...

Love this tune.. Decided to popsike it.. whoa. Scary. I know you're glad to have this in any condition!