Fair Use disclaimer

All music presented on this site is shared under the premise of "fair use"; this site is solely intended for the purpose of education and critique. If you are a rights holder to any of the music presented and wish for it to be removed, simply contact me directly and it will be taken down.

Wednesday, July 25, 2012

JACQULINE TAIEB - 7 HEURES DU MATIN

Born in Tunisia, Jacqueline Taieb's family moved to France when she was 8 years old. She was discovered at age 16 by a talent scout who relocated her to Paris where this track, one of the most famous of the so-called ye-ye sound,  was cut.
I'm the first to admit that I am not the biggest fan of ye-ye; I can't relate to the (mostly) childlike/childish subjects and find the music on the twee side. This song, though, transcends that boundary for my taste. The story of a teenage girl (probably autobiographical, no?) who wakes up at the awful hour of 7 AM, gets inspiration by listening to The Who, then daydreams of Paul McCartney helping her with her English homework. Yes, childlike and as a 37 year old man I feel a bit uncomfortable with these type of lyrics, but as a full backer of both The Who and Paul McCartney I can certainly relate. PLUS, Jacqueline's voice is more fully developed and the music hits harder and swings deeper on this cut than practically any other ye-ye tracks I've heard (please save your hate mail for something else more worldly, Francophiles).

from 1967...

JACQULINE TAIEB - 7 HEURES DU MATIN

11 comments:

R.A.M.'67 said...

A nice choice and a favorite of mine, too. Her English language version of this is nearly as good, but the original French is best.

Little Cabin Mama said...

As an immature 30 year-old woman, I am perfectly comfortable with these lyrics. Ha! Love this tune.

justice said...

i wonder what you feel when the radio plays "California Girls"of the Beach Boys . LOL

: smintheus :: said...

I liked this, had never heard of Taieb so thanks. I do enjoy ye-ye, with its charming melodies, lush voices, and beautiful enunciation. I notice you've never posted any Francoise Hardy recordings, who's a particular favorite.

ana-b said...

"I've lost my toothbrush, where can it be?"

Wish I had a copy.

ana-b said...

Btw, that's by the far the nicest sounding digital copy of this tune I've heard.

DJWaterman said...

Never big on the french sound but every so often it can cross over into cool territory, which it does here. Thanks

JZ said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
JZ said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
JZ said...

I liked this so I did some digging. She is still around, with an updated version of this song in both French and English;

http://www.myspace.com/wwwmyspacecomjacquelinetaieb

Anonymous said...

I've got a nice NM copy of that EP myself, and it's definitely one of my most treasured items. I saw her live at the Primitive Festival in Rotterdam maybe five years ago and she was great. And really lovely to talk to as well.