Fair Use disclaimer

All music presented on this site is shared under the premise of "fair use"; this site is solely intended for the purpose of education and critique. If you are a rights holder to any of the music presented and wish for it to be removed, simply contact me directly and it will be taken down.

Monday, July 8, 2013

ONE G PLUS THREE - SUMMERTIME b/w PORQUITO SOUL

There's certainly no shortage of excellent versions of the standard "Summertime", and this ultra-cool Latin jazzy-funk take (a recent find for me) captures the vibe of a hot, sticky, slow moving day to a "T". I really love how the group basically writes their own intro to the song, with some unique chord changes, then when the organist hits on the melody, he takes some respectful liberties with it. Next time thru, Rudy Salas plays the melody on guitar just SLIGHTLY behind the beat, and to me, THAT is when the summertime vibe is perfectly captured and it sends this record into legendary status.

The flip side, "Porquito Soul", keeps the vibe going perfectly and it would have been a crime not to post it, as well. My daily posts are taking far longer to compose, as the site that I've hosted music on for six years is broken, and I can think of no other alternative than to post to youtube. The good thing about THAT though is that the songs can stay up indefinitely.

This is the only release from the group, although guitarist Rudy Salas went on to great success as part of the legendary Latin soul group Tierra, who still tour to this very day.

from 1970...

ONE G PLUS THREE - SUMMERTIME b/w PORQUITO SOUL

9 comments:

EasilyConfused said...

Hi Derek. Love the site and have really appreciated the stuff you've been putting out these last several years. Bit disappointed there are no downloads at the moment, and I'm sure you're not happy about it. Is this a long-term problem?

Cheers
Stuart

tonewaweru said...

Hey awesome, been a huge fan. Are you not going to share with us through DivShare anymore tho? :(

Derek See said...

hey guys- read today's post for the explanation.

Derek See said...

if you absolutely need to download the tracks, use the "listen to youtube" website.

tonewaweru said...

Hmm thanks for the explanation. Have you explored using the SoundCloud.com route? Same thing basically, just include the downloadable check box when you upload. If storage space is a problem, I'm sure that your followers like myself would be more than happy to contriubute to the fee via a donate feature with paypal.

tonewaweru said...

Derek - Also great work on your 45 release. So tight!

I was wondering if you could help me with a digging matter. I'm looking for this record by ALAINA called "Sweet Life (Mama Can You Hear Me)". She did a version of it on 45 on H&L Records. Can't find it anywhere. Would you happen to have a copy in your arsenal? Absolutely love the record.

Derek See said...

Tone, thank you re: my 45! Soundcloud has software that ID's copywritten material and they disable the files. Sorry, I don't know the Alaina record...

tonewaweru said...

Thanks for trying Derek. Here is the Alaina record, they let you preview it. I don't have my turntables anymore but if you ever cop it rip that joint for me! Thanks.

http://www.raresoulman.co.uk/d/86448/ALAINA

Gerard Herzhaft said...

Thanks Derek for sharing those great and usually quite rare tracks. There is an easy way to record anything that is playing on your PC: install any audio recording system that captures sound. I use AVS Audio Recorder and it works very well with a good sound, depending on your computer's sound system.