Fair Use disclaimer

All music presented on this site is shared under the premise of "fair use"; this site is solely intended for the purpose of education and critique. If you are a rights holder to any of the music presented and wish for it to be removed, simply contact me directly and it will be taken down.

Thursday, May 7, 2009

BEST OF 45 of the day: Happy birthday, John Lennon




If I were to point at one thing that influenced who I came to be, as both a musician and record collector there is no doubt in my mind that I can point to the early influence of the Beatles (and John Lennon specifically). In hearing tapes of John Lennon guest DJ in the 70's (which I heard as a young teenager in the late '80's through the "Lost Lennon Tapes" radio series) I was exposed to rare r&b/ soul records that were favorites of John's which began my quest as a 45 collector.

John Lennon (both in interviews and once when he guest DJ'd on WNEW in New York in 1974) sung the praises of both 'Watch Your Step" and "Some Other Guy" as being great examples of "son of What'd I Say records". Of course the Beatles also covered "Some Other Guy" in that sublime clip from the Cavern Club in 1962. Man, those boys were HIP picking up on obscure soul records (although these records actually saw UK releases, contrary to the stories of sailors importing 45's).

BOBBY PARKER - WATCH YOUR STEP


RICHIE BARRETT - SOME OTHER GUY

No comments: