Fair Use disclaimer

All music presented on this site is shared under the premise of "fair use"; this site is solely intended for the purpose of education and critique. If you are a rights holder to any of the music presented and wish for it to be removed, simply contact me directly and it will be taken down.

Wednesday, March 31, 2010

EDDIE PURRELL - THE SPOILER


As I was sitting here thinking about what I wanted to post today, the thought came to mind that I haven't represented the great city of Memphis enough recently!

Written by Booker T Jones and Duck Dunn for Detroit native Eddie Purrell, this record drips with Memphis mojo. Those Memphis cats (I'm gonna assume it's MG Al Jackson on drums) had a way to keep the energy up but have a relaxed feel that has never been duplicated by anyone, anywhere.

As for singer Eddie, I believe he only released two 45's. He certainly deserved better, as his voice is excellent and full of attitude.

from 1967...

EDDIE PURRELL - THE SPOILER

3 comments:

Heart of the Wood said...

This is great, and the whole feel of it, exactly as you describe it, reminds me of Brinsley Schwarz' "I'm Ahead If I Can Quit While I'm Behind". British pub rock from the early 70s! Funny little world.

Unknown said...

Good side. I had never heard Eddie Purrell before. Thank you!

PrimroseCopse said...

Hi Derek, A fine southern sound that I've just played on the deck next to me. Eddie Purrell aka Eddie Perrell is actually a native of Chicago. As Perrell he recorded at least one 45 for the Chicago label Hit Sound, a single on Shurfine in Atlanta, the excellent 'Hex' and two labours on his own Plum Good label including a marvelous version of 'You've Lost That Loving Feeling'. best Greg