Fair Use disclaimer

All music presented on this site is shared under the premise of "fair use"; this site is solely intended for the purpose of education and critique. If you are a rights holder to any of the music presented and wish for it to be removed, simply contact me directly and it will be taken down.

Friday, December 16, 2011

JOE HAYWOOD - I WOULD IF I COULD b/w WARM AND TENDER LOVE


The story of Joe Haywood unfortunately is a sad one. It seems as though he was the writer of "Warm And Tender Love", which was Percy Sledge's followup hit to "when A Man Loves A Woman", but apparently Haywood (as was the case with so many songwriters in the 50's and 60s) sold the rights and credit to publisher Bobby Robinson. I'm not a gambler, but I'd also be willing to bet that Haywood wrote the other side, "I Would If I Could", which is a slamming r&b number that complements the deep soul of "Warm And Tender Love" beautifully.

Haywood was known in his native area of Spartanburg, South Carolina not only as an excellent vocalist but also an equally great drummer. Haywood released a handful of other singles up til around 1970, then disappeared from the music scene.

Thanks to the Soul Detective for uncovering information on Joe Haywood.


from 1965...

JOE HAYWOOD - I WOULD IF I COULD




b/w WARM AND TENDER LOVE



Like Derek's Daily 45 on Facebook

3 comments:

ana-b said...

That's the greatest of all Soul Detective threads. I ended up hunting down everyone single one of those 45s as a consequence....along with a few only mentioned at the time as well.

Red Kelly said...

Awesome stuff, Derek! Look for a Case One update in 2012... Ho-Ho-Ho!

Derek See said...

Thanks for everything you do, Red!!!!