Fair Use disclaimer

All music presented on this site is shared under the premise of "fair use"; this site is solely intended for the purpose of education and critique. If you are a rights holder to any of the music presented and wish for it to be removed, simply contact me directly and it will be taken down.

Friday, December 9, 2011

THE MANDELLS - DON'T TURN YOUR BACK ON ME b/w NOW I KNOW


I am afraid that I know nothing about this excellent record in the way of origin and group details. There was another group known as the Mandells that were active in the fifties, but I don't think this group was affiliated with that group in any way, shape or form. This group might have been from Chicago, but I'm not sure.

Whatever the back story, the story as told in the grooves is one of a group with excellent vocalists paired up with two stellar songs.

from 1969...

THE MANDELLS - DON'T TURN YOUR BACK ON ME

b/w NOW I KNOW

Like Derek's Daily 45 on Facebook

3 comments:

Sam said...

The Mandells were indeed a Chicago group, they even had their own record label, Trans World Sound, on which they released their own records and a couple from other groups. This particular record was their biggest hit and one of the few to get picked up for national distribution, it was released originally on Trans World Sound. You can hear an interview with the group on Bob Abrahamian's website sittinginthepark.

alejandro said...

"Now I know" has been a favorite for the last couple of years. What an excellent record! Haven't heard any of their other 45s, have you?

Anonymous said...

no way... I just found this record my self in Brooklyn and it's totally my new favorite. love the little string warm up notes before "now I know" kicks in with such a big sound.... so classy... and so full. Keep up the amazing job you do.