Fair Use disclaimer

All music presented on this site is shared under the premise of "fair use"; this site is solely intended for the purpose of education and critique. If you are a rights holder to any of the music presented and wish for it to be removed, simply contact me directly and it will be taken down.

Sunday, December 18, 2011

MABLE JOHN - SAY YOU'LL NEVER LET ME GO


I can say unequivocally that I enjoy listening to records far more than an ipod (that's a given, right?) but nothing can top the joy of random play reminding me of a record like THIS that had languished outside of my memory for too long.

This came on while I was driving yesterday, and it was like hearing this beautiful record for the first time; of course it wasn't, since I owned the record and had transferred it to a squished little MP3 file, but it was an ear awakening experience nonetheless. This gorgeous ballad shows off the majesty of Mable's voice in a stunning way.

sister of Little Willie John, Mable was discovered by Barry Gordy's wife at the beginning of the Motown records eras, while Gordy was seeking talent. Mable's two singles for Tamla Motown were not a commercial success, and after a gap of a few years she recorded some excellent sides for Stax (all past 45's of the day). Gordy did believe in the record enough to reissue it in 1963 (from when my copy was pressed).

from 1960...

MABLE JOHN - SAY YOU'LL NEVER LET ME GO



Like Derek's Daily 45 on Facebook

No comments: