Fair Use disclaimer

All music presented on this site is shared under the premise of "fair use"; this site is solely intended for the purpose of education and critique. If you are a rights holder to any of the music presented and wish for it to be removed, simply contact me directly and it will be taken down.

Thursday, March 1, 2012

THE CORONETS - I'M ALL ALONE


This is the earliest track I've ever featured on this site; it's certainly not because I don't love doo-wop/ early r&b sounds (which I certainly do!), but my collection of original 45's from this era is very small and I've never taken the plunge into 78's. I tend to enjoy this type of music on reissues (one person can only handle SO MUCH collection insanity)!

Hailing from Cleveland, Ohio, The Coronets were made up of brothers Sam & William Griggs, Lester Russaw, George Lewis, and lead singer Charles Carruthers and at the time of recording their ages spanned 18-23. After working the local talent show circuit, infamous Cleveland DJ Alan Freed helped the group get signed to Chess records, where the group traveled to cut this record. While the other side ("Nadine") was the hit in Chicago, L.A, Philadelphia, St Louis, and Cincinnati (and it's a lovely harmony number), I especially like the rawer jump side presented here; it's sublime!

from 1953...

THE CORONETS - I'M ALL ALONE

Like Derek's Daily 45 on Facebook

2 comments:

Apesville said...

Fabulous thank you

John.h2 said...

I've heard Nadine before but never this side. When you add the two sides together it shows the range and quality of the group.