Fair Use disclaimer

All music presented on this site is shared under the premise of "fair use"; this site is solely intended for the purpose of education and critique. If you are a rights holder to any of the music presented and wish for it to be removed, simply contact me directly and it will be taken down.

Friday, March 2, 2012

VIVIAN REED - I WANNA BE FREE



As a lifelong Monkees fanatic, I must admit that I was a bit surprised (but very touched) to see the outpouring from fans regarding the passing of Davy Jones. I was surprised yet not surprised how much of an impact the Monkees made on such a massive number of friends. Seeing the Monkees TV show as reruns as a very young child made a massive impact on who I am today, and the show and the tunes continue to be a source of happiness in my life.

This track, sang by Davy, was made most famous on The Monkees debut LP and seen often on the TV show. Here, it's given a brassy soulful rendition that takes it from soft, heartfelt ballad to a statement of uncompromised independence by Vivian Reed. Vivian became a very well known actress/ singer on Broadway; Davy got his start in showbiz playing the Artful Dodger in Oliver! on Broadway; I'm sure if he knew of this version he would approve.

Rest in peace, Davy.

from 1968...

VIVIAN REED - I WANNA BE FREE


Like Derek's Daily 45 on Facebook

1 comment:

zyderock said...

Derek;

One of the very first albums I ever got as a kid was the Monkees 1st. Have always loved this song. What an excellent choice and killer version.

Thank you