Fair Use disclaimer

All music presented on this site is shared under the premise of "fair use"; this site is solely intended for the purpose of education and critique. If you are a rights holder to any of the music presented and wish for it to be removed, simply contact me directly and it will be taken down.

Wednesday, December 22, 2010

GEORGE MCGREGOR & THE BRONZETTES - TEMPTATION IS HARD TO FIGHT


How many soul records feature pedal steel guitar? Not many (although the great 'Soulshake" by Peggy Scott & Jo Jo Benson is another example), and this one features it in such an amazing way on the intro creating an eerie hook that just blows my mind.

This haunting record is easily in my all time top ten favorite deep soul tracks; the vocals, both lead and backing are simply divine.

This is a record that I NEVER thought I'd find, as it is so hard to find it's practically non-existent. It was reissued by the Numero Group on the incredible Chicago soul collection 'Twinight's Lunar Rotation' and subsequently used to great effect ending an episode of "Mad Men".

from 1967...

GEORGE MCGREGOR & THE BRONZETTES - TEMPTATION IS HARD TO FIGHT

2 comments:

Perrata 2000 said...

I've been wanting this since the Numero comp came out and this is the first time I actually see it (have the 45 reissue). LOVE this 45, that guitar intro is beautiful. I guess it exisits....Very jealous!

RICCARDO said...

GEORGE AND BROTHER BILLY DID A LOT RECORDING AND PRODUCING FOR UNKNOWN CHICAGO TALENT. GOOD TO SEE THEIR STUFF, BILLY WAS A NEXT DOOR NEIGHBOR AND WE DID A FEW THINGS TOGETHER ..THANKS , NEVER THOUGHT I'D SEE THESE TRACKS AGAIN.