Fair Use disclaimer

All music presented on this site is shared under the premise of "fair use"; this site is solely intended for the purpose of education and critique. If you are a rights holder to any of the music presented and wish for it to be removed, simply contact me directly and it will be taken down.

Wednesday, December 8, 2010

TIMMY SHAW - GONNA SEND YOU BACK TO GEORGIA


In dedication to John Lennon; thirty years gone today, here is one of the selections that was inside John's personal jukebox that featured his favorite singles. I have mentioned this many times, but it needs to be mentioned again- I am eternally grateful to the Beatles not only for their own music, but the fact that they introduced me (and so many others) to deep rhythm and blues.

I can certainly see why John liked this one, as he especially appreciated the funky, gritty soul sounds and incorporated plenty of that influence into his personal vocal stylings.

From the deep south but transplanted to Detroit, Timmy Shaw had a minor hit with this one. Sadly, he died just a few years later in 1968.

Thanks to all of the great artists who have passed on; thankfully, the music lives forever whether it's on wax or a digital file, the soul is forever.

from 1964...

5 comments:

G the P said...

Hey - bizarrely, I just picked up a mint copy of this - but I had no idea of the John Lennon jukebox thing. Nice info! great tune!

Funky16Corners said...

The model for the Animals 'Gonna Send You Back To Walker'. James Carr did a cool version too.

Anonymous said...

Love this tune. I originally heard this when Nick Marshall the dj at the great 'Bear Hotel' soul and RnB nights in Newcastle-Under-Lyme in the late 70s/early 80s put this on a tape for me, a great education and a great selection of tunes that have stayed with me ever since.

Never seen the wand label version before, so thanks for that!

the killer said...

...... HI! I HAVE THIS RECORD..ITS GREAT! I ALWAYS THOUGHT THAT TIMMY SOUNDED LIKE WILSON PICKETT...

Anonymous said...

Now I know where Donnie Elbert got the rhythm for his "Little Piece Of Leather"