Fair Use disclaimer

All music presented on this site is shared under the premise of "fair use"; this site is solely intended for the purpose of education and critique. If you are a rights holder to any of the music presented and wish for it to be removed, simply contact me directly and it will be taken down.

Tuesday, October 19, 2010

BARBRA CARR - SHAKE YOUR HEAD


The first thing I'll say about this record is that the drumming is an absolute force of nature! All those funky, offbeat accents remind me of the kinds of things Jaki Leibezitz did in the '70's with German group Can. Powerful enough to almost obliterate the goofy backing vocals, which is nicely done by Ms Carr's powerhouse vocals (for some reason on this record an "a" disappeared from her name and she was Barbra, not Barbara. Probably just a typo?)

Other highlights are the almost New Orleans-sounding horn chart and the surprise that happens around the 2:00 mark. A very unique Chicago record, unlike anything else!

from 1967...

2 comments:

Unknown said...

And yet another excellent side. Thank you! I'm shakin' my head, YES!

Tony Russell said...

fantastic tune,lovely on my Sunday night...shaking my head alright!!