Fair Use disclaimer

All music presented on this site is shared under the premise of "fair use"; this site is solely intended for the purpose of education and critique. If you are a rights holder to any of the music presented and wish for it to be removed, simply contact me directly and it will be taken down.

Monday, October 25, 2010

THE FALCONS - I CAN'T HELP IT


Sadly, waltz-time (1-2-3, 1-2-3) is hardly ever heard in soul (or rock n roll for that matter); however, I can think of no better of an example of a soul waltz than this incredible record. This song takes on an almost hypnotizing feel thanks to the uniqueness of the arrangement.

With a LONG history starting out in doo wop's middle period (1955), the Falcons saw many lineup changes (and once numbered Wilson Pickett in their ranks) and by the time this record was cut no original Falcons remained; the group's management took the Fabulous Playboys (I featured their "Nervous" here a few months back) and renamed them The Falcons.

from 1966...

7 comments:

risser said...

Hmmm. From your own pages:
Brenton Wood - I Want Love
Irene Scott - You're No Good
Irma Thomas - Wish Someone Would Care
Toussaint McCall - Nothing Takes the Place of You

These are all in 3/4, or maybe 6/8. Hard to tell sometimes.

Peter

Unknown said...

Good tune. I agree with you about the arrangement. Thank you!

strandwolf said...

I thought he was singing "I can't help it, because I'm balding!" But there is help.

Derek See said...

OK, Peter, you have named 4 songs from my blog that are in 3/4 or 6/8. To date, I have featured over 1000 songs, most of which are in 4/4. I'm sure if someone really dug further they may find a few more as well, but I am sticking by my assesment that 3/4 is a rarity in 60s soul and rock n roll.

Jason C said...

Interesting song. The waltz time seems a little awkward for that style. Not bad mind you, but there times where it seems the song is about to "fall apart".

Holly said...

Whatever ....I like it!

Thanks, Derek ;-)

Eric said...

It's actually not 3/4 or 6/8. It's 12/8. I used to call it 6/8 inaccurately for a long time, but upon realization that these guys were drawing from what they knew of the blues and R&B tradition, thinking of the music in 12/8 makes more sense. What it allows you to do is count the slow pulse in 4, which keeps consistent the sections of the song. It also helps the players not rush the 1/8th notes of the piece. Things get jumbled and rushed in your mind when you're counting (1,2,3,4,5,6) vs 1.....2.....3.....4.....
I can see why you thought 3/4, as there are snare hits on 2&3 if you're counting 1/8th notes, but that has more to do with the syncopation and flashy chops of the drummer than it does the meter of the piece. Great track, great blog.