Fair Use disclaimer

All music presented on this site is shared under the premise of "fair use"; this site is solely intended for the purpose of education and critique. If you are a rights holder to any of the music presented and wish for it to be removed, simply contact me directly and it will be taken down.

Thursday, October 28, 2010

CAROL JONES - DON'T DESTROY ME


Completely bucking the model of the Detroit sound, this record is one of the rawest, deepest cuts I've ever heard come out of the motor city. Oddly, this record on the tiny Mutt label was also released in three different versions/ mixes! Another version of this song had loud strings ala Detroit, but this version, with its pummeling drums and aching vocals from Ms Jones is the version that knocks my socks off.

One would be forgiven for thinking that this is a recent release from Sharon Jones & The Dap Kings; this record is the blueprint for their sound!

from 1968...

7 comments:

Perrata 2000 said...

I love this record and its B side "Problem Child" which is just as great. I was always curious as to why they had 3 versions. Were they all intended to be released? Does anybody have a clue?
I googled-earth-ed a picture of the "Mutt" studio if anybody's interested. Here it is:
http://colmenadehumo.blogspot.com/2010/08/carol-jones-dont-destroy-me-mutt-1969.html

Holly said...

This is SUCH a great song.

Michelle said...

Augh! I love this song SO MUCH!!! And the compilations are great! Thank you!

(also, I don't know if this is gauche of me, but if ever you were to repost Buddy Ace's "Screamin' Please" you would have my eternal gratitude. Eternal! I can't find it anywhere.)

LiamC said...

That track is off the chain!

I've not heard it before so thanks a lot for sharing it.

This is why your blog rocks, keep it up!

Raggedy said...

Simply fantastic! Thanks for sharing/

Unknown said...

Great record. I love it. What a voice. Thank you!

clatrice said...

MY MOTHER IS CAROL JONES, WHO RECORDED THESE SONGS. WE WERE PLEASANTLY SURPRISED WHEN MY DAUGHTER CAME ACROSS IT ON YOUTUBE.COM. ALL OF HER ORIGINALS WERE DESTROYED. IT WAS VERY NICE TO HEAR THESE AGAIN AND TO READ ALL THE WONDERFUL COMMENTS. IF ANYONE IS INTERESTED IN CONTACTING HER PLEASE EMAIL HER AT CAROLJONES_JOHNSON@YAHOO.COM