Fair Use disclaimer

All music presented on this site is shared under the premise of "fair use"; this site is solely intended for the purpose of education and critique. If you are a rights holder to any of the music presented and wish for it to be removed, simply contact me directly and it will be taken down.

Friday, February 20, 2009

ARTHUR ALEXANDER - SOLDIER OF LOVE


This incredible southern soul artist (from the deep south of Alabama) was a huge influence on the British invasion (his songs were covered by the Beatles, Stones, Hollies and was a huge influence on John Lennon's vocal stylings). He recorded regularly up until the mid 70's, then drove a bus until he recorded a comeback album in 1993. At the same time, much of his music had been reissued for the first time. Sadly, Arthur died of a heart attack shortly after his comeback album was released, at only 53 years old.

Yet another incredible artist who never got the respect and adulation he deserved during his lifetime.

from 1962...

ARTHUR ALEXANDER - SOLDIER OF LOVE

9 comments:

pnk said...

Marshall Crenshaw covered this song! Never even knew it was a cover... coool.

Anonymous said...

a great record by a great singer. Thank you.

Stuart Shea said...

A great record by a great singer. Thank you.

Anonymous said...

Maybe you could post the flipside. I heard it once and remember it being very good. Don't remember what it was called tho'.

Trevor said...

Hi Derek , Do you have or can you tell me where I can obtain the track by Arthur Alexander titled " WHERE DID SALLY GO ".
I'd be much obliged if you can help me and thanks in advance .
Also thank you for the great songs you kindly allow us to listen to .
Trevor.

Trevor said...

Hi Derek , Thanks for all the tremendous songs you have kindly allowed us to share with you .Do you have or can you tell me where I may obtain a track by Arthur Alexander titled " WHERE DID SALLY GO " ?
Thanks in advance if you can assist .
Trevor .

Derek See said...

Hi Trevor-

Unfortunately, that's one that I don't have. Perhaps some day it will be on the blog though.

Anonymous said...

I got Arthur Alexander´s Where Did
Sally go.

It is on Soulseek.

H

Trevor said...

Thank you "H"/anonymous for the info re. " Where Did Sally Go". Unfortunately I cannot seem to " work " SOULSEEK. I am amazed & thankful that you remembered my asking for this so many months ago. Any advice on how I can obtain it ???!!! Thanks again Trevor.