Fair Use disclaimer

All music presented on this site is shared under the premise of "fair use"; this site is solely intended for the purpose of education and critique. If you are a rights holder to any of the music presented and wish for it to be removed, simply contact me directly and it will be taken down.

Saturday, July 31, 2010

ALTON ELLIS - SITTING IN THE PARK


Today's post is coming to you from the magical city of London; oh how I love this place. Feels like my second home, actually! As I was deciding what to post, the first thing that popped into my head was the Jamaica to UK music connection and the importance of blue beat and reggae on the UK underground of the late 60's. Thank you, England, not only for keeping soul alive!

This is a beautiful, haunting version of the Billy Stewart classic done to a perfect lilt from Alton Ellis (strangely listed only as A Ellis on the label of my copy, but when it comes to Jamaican pressings nothing is a surprise).

From Trenchtown, Alton was one of the very first Jamaican vocalists to cut a side (his first release was cut in 1959) and is generally acknowledged as one of the finest singers ever from the island. This cut helps substatiate that claim, as his smooth, pitch perfect delivery is a thing of wonder.

from 1969...

ALTON ELLIS - SITTING IN THE PARK

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Good version of this song. Thank you!

Anonymous said...

I dig this version. Thanks for this post.

Wilthomer said...

Cool! I wonder if he heard the Georgie Fame U.K. hit version?