Fair Use disclaimer

All music presented on this site is shared under the premise of "fair use"; this site is solely intended for the purpose of education and critique. If you are a rights holder to any of the music presented and wish for it to be removed, simply contact me directly and it will be taken down.

Thursday, December 27, 2012

IN TRIBUTE: FONTELLA BASS - LUCKY IN LOVE + POOR LITTLE FOOL


With the passing of yet another one of the greats, it drives home the fact that we are so lucky to have this music. Fontella Bass was one of THE greatest voices of the '60's; may her music live on always.

(originally posted 1/13/10)

While Fontella never had the type of chart success (not to mention pop crossover) as she did with "rescue Me", there are a number of other great, overlooked records in her discography including this one which is a real fave of mine. Another stellar piece in the Chicago soul puzzle. Adding up the the output from the likes of Chess records, productions and recordings of groundbreakers Gene Chandler, Syl Johnson and Curtis Mayfield (among others), productions of Carl Davis and Gerald Simms (among others) usually when I hear people argue Stax vs Motown, I always throw in "but don't forget about CHICAGO"!

from 1967...

FONTELLA BASS - LUCKY IN LOVE



(originally posted 1/31/10)

As I was deciding which record to feature today, it dawned on me that there are very few female DUO records from this era; certainly much less common than male soul duo's. What a treat that we hear two of the greatest female singers TOGETHER on this disc!

Driven along by their sublime vocals and some truly epic baritone guitar, this song is a superb example of the early sixties St. Louis sound.

from 1963...

FONTELLA BASS and TINA TURNER - POOR LITTLE FOOL

3 comments:

Darcy said...

Love that duet with Tina Turner.

RIP Fontella.

Anonymous said...

Sad to lose Fontella Bass. She made a lot of fine records through her era on record. Love Chicago Soul myself a great lot. This fine duet with Tina Turner on "Poor Little Fool" is awesome. Lucky In Love is another fine Checker 45 I'll have to hunt down.

Fripouille said...

Hi, and I enjoyed reading your tribute to Fontella Bass as well as your choice of songs. She was a wonderful singer whose music I have loved since the Sixties.

Incidentally, I came across your blog in a Google search on Fontella Bass whilst I was looking for background for a blog on her and other singers I just posted, and I'm glad I chose to click on the link to here.

You have a unique blog in that you post singles from many musical genres on most days. Bookmarked and have an excellent day!