Fair Use disclaimer

All music presented on this site is shared under the premise of "fair use"; this site is solely intended for the purpose of education and critique. If you are a rights holder to any of the music presented and wish for it to be removed, simply contact me directly and it will be taken down.

Thursday, September 2, 2010

HAROLD BURRAGE - THINGS AIN'T WHAT THEY USED TO BE (SINCE YOU'VE BEEN GONE)


Harold Burrage is one of the most important, yet overlooked, figures in Chicago soul whose recording career began in 1950. Dying far too young (age 35), he never lived to see the success of his proteges Otis Clay and Tyrone Davis, and he only had one minor national hit (although most of his records were huge regionally in Chicago).


I love the steady restraint (which somehow manages to drive forward) that the musicians show on this track, with an incredible guitar break and a lush bed of Hammond B3 underneath. And, at the end of the track, a male version of the Vandellas comes in for a final little backing vocal hook. Brilliant arranging.

from 1965...

8 comments:

MTP said...

Hi Derek-

I'm sorry to ask a question unrelated to this post (what a great site you have going, though!), but I am trying to gather information about a 45 you posted about a year or two ago. It was Jimmy Dobbins' "Little Miss Perfect," and I'm wondering if you could let me know who the songwriters are. They're listed under the song's title, but I can't quite make them out from the photo you uploaded.

I can't tell you how helpful I've found that post. Please get back to me when you can.

Best,
Meghan Plummer

Anonymous said...

Wonderful insight in this post! Thanks.

Derek See said...

Hi Meghan-

The authors are J Dobbins, B Lee, B Caldwell. Did you see the comments from his grandson? Very interesting stuff!!! MM, thank you for your kind words, as always.

ana-b said...

Totally killer...

Unknown said...

This is great! Thank you! The guitar break with the organ running underneath is amazing. I love it.

Rockin' Jeff said...

Nice!

Anonymous said...

Yeah, this one is legendary! One of my favs I've heard on the site so far! Pure bliss! Keep this up, Derek, and you'll be legend in your own time!

Anonymous said...

Yeah, this one is legendary! One of my favs I've heard on the site so far! Pure bliss! Keep this up, Derek, and you'll be legend in your own time! robd