Fair Use disclaimer

All music presented on this site is shared under the premise of "fair use"; this site is solely intended for the purpose of education and critique. If you are a rights holder to any of the music presented and wish for it to be removed, simply contact me directly and it will be taken down.

Saturday, September 25, 2010

THE REMAINS - ONCE BEFORE


Showmanship, charisma, great songs and top notch musicianship- Boston's REMAINS had it all. While they also made an appearance on the Ed Sullivan show and also had an opening slot on the Beatles '66 US tour, for some reason the Remains never broke through to the big leagues where they belonged.

This cracking side was technically the b-side (to their cover of Diddy Wah Diddy which is great as well, BUT...), I find this to be their strongest outing; even a notch above "Don't Look Back" which was made legendary on the original Nuggets compilation (and believe me, I'm not slighting that great song by any means!)

from 1966...

THE REMAINS - ONCE BEFORE

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I've been a fan of The Remains for many years. You're right this is a great song. It's nice to have a copy made from the original 45. Thank you!

Anonymous said...

I'm a bit out of the loop here, but I really like this record. Thanks for sharing - and Derek, I do hope you'll accept the invitation to my newly private blog that was sent this morning. I'm using a new storage facility. If you drop in, let me know what you think?

Rockin' Jeff said...

I saw The Remains in Boston in 1998 (if memory serves.) They were better than i expected them to be. They sounded just like these old records.... Also, Peter Wolf introduced them/emceed the show. Good times.

Derek See said...

Yeah, I saw them last year in New Orleans and they were INCREDIBLE!

Simon Kvalheim said...

This is awesome.I will be tracking down some of their recordings post haste.

Todd Lucas said...

I think this is their most underrated song. And this is from a band that didn't record a bad tune.

On another note, I finally tracked down my first Remains 45 this summer, at an outdoor flea market in California. It's "Don't Look Back"/"Time of Day" on Epic. Cost: 75 cents.